Pupil Premium at Yeadon Westfield Junior School
What is pupil premium?
Pupil premium is a sum of money given to schools each year by the Government to improve the attainment of disadvantaged children.
- This is based on finding that showing that as a whole group, children from disadvantaged families perform less well at school than their peers. Often, children who are entitled to pupil premium face challenges such as poor communication skills, less family support, lack of confidence and issues with attendance and punctuality, achieving academically lower than their classmate who we not eligible. The pupil premium is intended to directly benefit these children, accelerate progress and close the gap between disadvantaged pupils and all pupils.
Is your child eligible?
Schools are given a pupil premium for:
- Children who have qualified for free school meals at any point in the past six years.
- Children who have been looked after under local authority care for more than one day. (Including special guardianships)
- Service personnel
Your child may be eligible for free school meals – and accordingly pupil premium – if you receive any of the following benefits:
- Income support
- Income-based jobseekers’ allowance
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Support under Part IV of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of state pension credit
- Child tax credit, provided that you are not also entitled to working tax credit (income dependent)
- Universal credit, with a household income of less than £7,400 a year
You can check to see if your child is entitled to F.S.M by checking https://www.gov.uk/apply-free-school-meals It is important you tell school if you qualify, even if your child still chooses packed lunches, as they are still entitled to the funding.
How is the money spent? (See our detailed Pupil Premium Policy)
- Enriching and enabling the wider curriculum, for example through clubs
- Supporting and accelerating learning through 1-1 and small group work
- Nurture and social groups
- Speech and language interventions
Pupil Premium Reports and Action Plans